Notts County Sailing Club
Notts County Sailing Club is situated 12 miles East of Nottingham City Centre. There is a train station and regular bus service in Thurgaton, about half an hours walk.
Directions to Nottingham Open Water Swimming
Note the club’s postcode NG14 7JX takes you to the correct track, but is unreliable for final directions on a sat-nav or google as the club is in the countryside & off main roads, the post code takes you to an adjacent farm, it will get you close but postcode leads you to the the farm to the left of the club, watch out for the club signboard and track to the right after the works on your left.
The visitor barrier code can be obtained by dining the clubhouse, it is changed regularly and by the phone, otherwise park before the barrier (but don’t block any gates) and walk the last few hundred meters.
The A46 (Leicester / Newark road) is now a very good route if you are coming from the South of the Country.
Coming from the west:
- The club is to the east of Nottingham, off the A612 Nottingham – Southwell road.
- Go east from Lowdham village (on the junction of A612 with A6097) towards Thurgarton & Southwell.
- Go past Gonalston and a right-hand side road, signed Hoveringham, for a mile or so.
- Before you reach Thurgarton village, take the next right turning, signed Industrial Area.
- Follow this winding road, called Station Road, over a level crossing until you come to a left turn signed Notts County Sailing Club (small pointer sign), on a right-hand bend.
- Turn left onto the concrete then gravelled road.
- Drive through gravel/concrete works.
- After about 500m, turn right through the steel gateway onto the sailing club track (you will see a Notts County Sailing Club sign sign on right).
- There is an electric barrier halfway down, you need the visitors code (by rising clubhouse if occupied) or to park up and walk (without blocking any gate access for farmers)
Coming from the east:
- The club is to the west of Southwell, off the A612 Southwell – Nottingham road.
- After the Village of Thurgarton, take the next left turning, signed Industrial Area.
- see above in red